This position reports directly to a Deputy General Counsel and will provide primary legal support to consumer lending lines of business, including but not limited to: real estate secured lending (mortgage, home equity loans and lines of credit), other secured lending and unsecured loans and lines of credit. This position is a leadership position and will manage a small team of attorneys. This position will require the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to work with compliance personnel and various lines of business and cross-functional groups, including IT designers and developers, to ensure the Bank’s policies and practices are compliant with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Drafts, reviews, and edits legal documents and materials.
- Provides legal services and counsel to clients in relation to laws and regulations in the client’s line of business.
- Produces clear and concise written materials that can be submitted to clients with minimal or no revision or review by a more senior attorney.
- Identifies and analyzes more complex or novel matters; develops conclusions, makes recommendations, and provides reliable advice.
- Assigns the appropriate degree of importance to issues and can formulate and carry out research and investigative strategies.
- Advises clients on risks in one or more assigned departments or units of the organization; works with outside counsel to develop agreements, strategies, briefs, and communications; supervises outside counsel work.
- Works directly with business clients and develops an understanding of business unit needs and products. Contributes advice and counsel on policy and procedures.
- Counsels management whenever legal decisions or plans are being made or when changes in the law occur.
- Work assignments consist of major legal tasks involving problems of recognized complexity and facts that are occasionally in question for which considerable legal judgment, experience, and independent reasoning are required.
- Identifies the level and type of outside legal assistance needed by assessing the costs of outside legal services and supervising outside counsel to ensure that the fees charged are reasonable.