This position will provide primary legal support to Compass Bank’s small business banking team, including but not limited to, secured and unsecured commercial loans up to $35 million, Small Business Administration loans, and other secured and unsecured lines of credit. This position will require the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with the small business banking team, compliance personnel, and cross-functional groups, including IT designers and developers, to ensure the small business banking team’s systems, loan documents, policies and practices are compliant with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Drafts, reviews, and negotiates secured and unsecured loan documents legal documents and materials.
- Provides legal support for new loan origination systems including establishing initial legal requirements and recurring enhancement opportunities.
- Provides legal services and counsel to clients in relation to regulatory matters and examinations including laws and regulations affecting small business loan products.
- Reviews and approves marketing content and materials.
- Produces clear and concise written materials that can be submitted to clients with minimal or no revision or review by a more senior attorney.
- Identifies and analyzes more complex or novel matters; develops conclusions, makes recommendations, and provides reliable advice.
- Assigns the appropriate degree of importance to issues and can formulate and carry out research and investigative strategies.
- Advises clients on and works with outside counsel to develop agreements, strategies, and communications; supervises outside counsel work.
- Works directly with the small business team to develop an understand the business unit needs and products. Contributes advice and counsel on policy and procedures.
- Counsels management whenever legal decisions or plans are being made or when changes in the law occur.
- Work assignments consist of major legal tasks involving problems of recognized complexity and facts that are occasionally in question for which considerable legal judgment, experience, and independent reasoning are required.
- Identifies the level and type of outside legal assistance needed by assessing the costs of outside legal services and supervising outside counsel to ensure that the fees charged are reasonable.